You have finished your remodeling project and now you have left over tile. What to do? One option is to throw it in the garage and forget about it until you move and have to throw it out or sell it. Or you could get creative and bring that left over tile into the rest of your home to use as accents for other things. Let’s take a look at some ideas!
- Backsplash: Use leftover tile to create a backsplash or a border around your vanity or toilet.
- Bathtubs: If you have a lot of tile left over you can use that to create a colorful side to your bathtub or Jacuzzi. Not enough for a whole side? Create a decorative trim to match your walls or floors.
- Shower walls: Add tile to your shower wall to tie in the colors in the bathroom.
- Vanity countertop: If you decided not to replace your existing vanity, but still not happy with what it looks like, why not create a countertop made of tile. It is easy to do and will last you a life time!
- Bathroom Waterfall: Purchase a simple waterfall mechanism at your local hardware store and make it shine by adding glass tile to match your bathroom. With a little bit of work this feature can look like you spent a lot of money on accenting your bathroom!
- Trays: At the dollar store buy a plastic tray and attach tile to it. This tray can be used to hold all your accessories: hair brush, razor, lotions, and perfumes.
- Soap, toothbrush holders: Buy the cheapest plastic or ceramic set you can find and add beautiful glass tile to it. The work is easy and the effect is priceless! The whole set will look like it was custom made to match your bathroom.
Outside the Bathroom
If you installed some tile in the kitchen (maybe a backsplash), or anywhere in your home, you may want to bring in left over tile as accents as well. Here are some ideas.
- Coasters: 4×4 tile or mosaic tile will do the trick. Attach the tile to a piece of wood or rubber backing, seal it and you got a coaster! Make the square bigger and you have a great matching coaster for all your hot pots and pans.
- Jars, Vases, Candle Holders: Mosaic tile will work best for these projects. Glue some little squares on mason jars, candle holders and vases and you have some very unique items that match everything else in your home.
- Fireplaces: Add a glass tile border to your fire place to bring it into the 21st century.
- Table Top: Create a beautiful table top for crafts or a kid’s art table using glass tile. If you don’t like the texture put a piece of glass over it (can be cut and finished at your local hardware store for very little money).
- Jewelry: Bracelets, necklaces, earrings, rings and even flip flops can be made to look very chic and modern by attaching small pieces of mosaic tile to them.
You can create a very unique work of art and express your creativity in any of these projects. Your imagination is the inspiration and the sky is the limit when it comes to working with glass tile.
I am sure I did not cover even half of possibilities for glass tile.
If you have any ideas, tips or suggestions I would love to hear from you. Leave a comment or email me at email@example.com and who knows your idea might just make an appearance on my next blog (I promise to give you credit).
Written by Kate Yuh